May In Brevard Has Something For Everyone
by Katherine Scott Crawford
All welcome the merry month of May! In Brevard, the temperatures are on the upswing, the flowers are blooming, and the forest is full of spring wonders. Would you like to listen to live music, admire great art, see a play, take a guided hike or paddle, enjoy a three-day festival, and more? May in Transylvania is, quite simply, a happy month—and there is so much to do and see.
Here are just some of the reasons folks flock to Brevard in May:
- May 12th: Brevard Philharmonic Beethoven’s Pastorale Symphony, featuring Sean Chen. 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. at the Porter Center at Brevard College. ($25-$35) For more information, go to www.brevardphilharmonic.org.
- May 18th: Art in the Park. From 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Gorges State Park, enjoy a fine arts show focusing on landscape and wildlife art of WNC. Free at the Visitors Center. More information available at www.friendsofgorges.org.
- May 18th: Songsmith Gathering. 11:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. An event from the producers of the Mountain Song Festival featuring music from a variety of talented songwriters. Located at the Brevard Music Center. For more information go to www.songsmithgathering.com.
- May 24th: Fourth Friday Gallery Walk. Enjoy an evening stroll as you tour over 30 art galleries and shops in downtown Brevard. Free. 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- May 24 – 26: White Squirrel Festival. With live music, arts, a parade, a bier garden, food trucks and more, this Memorial Weekend festival is not to be missed. Events occur daily from 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. The White Squirrel 5K and Fun Run will be held May 25th from 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. To register for the race, contact Michael Dexter Smith with the Rotary Club of Brevard at 884-4184 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the White Squirrel Festival and the events line-up, go to www.whitesquirrelfestival.com.
So much to like, but can’t get to everything? Many events are reoccurring, so be sure to call or click the links above for more information. Here’s to enjoying your May in the mountains!